EMF Products & Order Codes
To see a list of links to EMF Meters and Instruments and EMF-shielding products that Oram recommends that are sold by the following retailers, click on the links or icons below.
Power Perfect Box
To link to SaticShield Power Perfect Wire-in Energy Management System (a whole-house dirty electricity reduction device), click here. For homes <2,500 sf and no solar panels, order Standard Power Perfect Box. For homes of any size with solar panels, order Super Duty Power Perfect Box. For homes >2,500 sf without solar panels, order Heavy Duty Power Perfect Box. When you order by phone, mention my name (Oram Miller) to receive a 10% discount. When ordering online, enter dealer code CHHomes in the “Coupon/Gift Certificate” box at checkout, then click “Apply” to see the 10% discount applied to your total purchase.
EMF Help Center
To view videos in which Oram shows how to use various affordable EMF meters, as well as to purchase those meters from EMF Help Center, click here. (Once on the EMF Help Center website, scroll down below each meter to see the links to the videos.) You will find additional information on how to take EMF measurements in Part Two of the eight-part series on EMFs, posted on the building biology website.
Oram Miller’s EMF Meter Package from LessEMF
In collaboration with Sean at LessEMF in New York, I have created a group of EMF meters that provide a very good measure of each type of EMF that the building biology profession recognizes. These are not the most inexpensive meters available, but I chose them because they will provide reliable, easy, repeatable assessments of the levels of these potential hidden sources of ill health in your home and help insure the safety of your living and work environment. If you can afford them, these are the meters that I ideally recommend for the person who wants to hire me for a long distance EMF evaluation of your home (when a local building building biologist is not available).
If you already have certain meters, you may want to upgrade (depending upon how well the meter you have measures the EMFs that we consider to be important) or just get the meters you don’t already have.
The four meters are as follows:
- For AC magnetic field EMFs, I recommend the Magnii 3-Axis Backlight Gaussmeter, $269 (I also now recommend the Switchable Single Axis and 3-Axis Gaussmeter for $390)
- For AC electric field EMFs, I recommend the Body Voltage Meter, $89
- For radio frequency (RF) EMFs, I recommend the Acoustimeter, $420 (I also now recommend the Safe and Sound Pro II RF Meter from Safe Living Technologies for $365
- For electromagnetic interference (EMI), also known as “dirty electricity”, I recommend the Stetzer Microsurge Meter, $150
You can order these meters separately from the links above (there is no discount for ordering them together as a package). Or, you can call LessEMF at 518-608-6479 or 888-LESS-EMF (888-537-7363) and ask for “Oram Miller’s EMF Meter Package”. If the sales representative does not know of that, ask them to ask Sean.
I explain each meter in detail on the EMF Meters and Instruments page in the respective sections for each EMF type. More affordable choices of meters to measure each of the four types of EMFs, as well as information about each type of EMF and other retailers who also sell great meters, are presented in that article.
Additional Items Not Available from the Retailers Listed Above
Cell Phone Cases
To purchase a cell phone case with documented 99.9% (30 dB) reduction in radio frequency EMF levels, order below. See an example of one of their many hand-made cell phone case designs at right.
Whatever design you choose from their many choices, you will be receiving your cell phone case as a gift for donating to the Living Harmony Project (also known as iamlivingharmony), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to advancing knowledge of how to reduce levels of EMFs in one’s life and providing low-cost EMF home evaluations for veterans. Your donation is tax-deductible. All cases are hand-made by local artisans in Los Angeles.
To order a custom-made stylish cell phone case, click here.
You can also call Monica, iamlivingharmony’s Executive Director, at 310-383-9781 to order a case or bag. You can email her at email@example.com.
Air Tube Headphones
To purchase air tube headphones, click here. These headphones have shielded wires, a clear airtube, and comfortable earbuds. Comes in rose gold, gold and black (select your choice on the “Color” link on the order page). Good sound quality and rated well by purchasers. Read reviews and description of headphones on order link.
Safertech Remote Outlet Shut-Off Switch
To purchase a remote outlet shut-off switch, click here. This allows you to remotely shut off the power at night to an ungrounded lamp cord plugged into an outlet near your bed that you cannot reach. Or, use it to shut off built-in WiFi coming out of a smart TV in your bedroom once you have put it in “stand-by” mode with the TV’s remote. You get rid of the smart TV’s on-board WiFi by shutting off power to the TV altogether with this remote outlet switch.
Hardwired Workaround for Sonos Wireless Speaker Systems
We recommend hardwired speaker connections whenever possible, not wireless. One of the most popular music systems today, Sonos, is designed to have its speakers connect with your music playlist on your computer wirelessly. This makes it possible to plug and play for easy set up without Ethernet cables.
That’s fine for people who don’t mind having wireless in their house, but as we have been saying throughout this website, using WiFi is not healthy and the WiFi from a Sonos speaker can fill part or all of your room with a constant radio frequency (RF) signal even when music is not playing. If you are electrically sensitive, you don’t want RF signals in your house at all.
Fortunately each Sonos speaker has an Ethernet jack on the back, allowing you to connect it to the music source in a hardwired way. However, simply plugging in an Ethernet cable does not automatically shut off the wireless transmitter inside the speaker.
In the past, Sonos did not allow WiFi to be disabled on their units, but now they do through their App that you can download to a smart phone. I was not able to do this on the Sonos program on a computer, only on their cell phone App.
You must first run an Ethernet cable to each Sonos speaker. In rooms where you do not have an Ethernet jack/data port in the wall, you can hire a low voltage contractor to install Ethernet data ports/jacks using hardwired Ethernet data cables through your basement, crawl space, attic or outside under the soffits. Or, install Multimedia over Coaxial Alliance (MoCA) devices that use the coaxial cables in your walls as a hardwired path to get Internet from one room to another. Or as a last resort, use a powerline adapter that uses electric circuits as the path (which does also generate dirty electricity). These options are discussed in the Radio Frequency EMF section of the page, Safer Use of Computers.
Next, once you have established Ethernet cables to each Sonos speaker in your house and you have downloaded their App onto your smart phone, you are ready to disable the WiFi on each speaker by following these steps:
- If you normally keep WiFi disabled on your router, you will need to temporarily re-enable it to carry out the following steps, then you can disable your router’s WiFi once again when done.
- Enable WiFi on your smart phone and connect to your router’s WiFi network.
- Go to Settings on the Sonos App on your cell phone.
- Click on System.
- Click on Products. You will see a list of all Sonos speakers in your home using names that you have assigned to each speaker. You will need to disable the WiFi on each speaker separately.
- Choose the first speaker name and click on it.
- Click on Products. You will see Connection. There will be two choices that appear. The first says, Disable Wi-Fi. The second says, Enable Wi-Fi. The second one will have a click mark next to it on the right because that speaker has been connected wirelessly.
- You want to click on the top choice, Disable Wi-Fi. A message will appear that says, “Disabling Wi-Fi. This can take a few minutes.” Just click Okay and a wheel appears as the WiFi is disabled.
- Once the WiFi is disabled and the speaker is connected only through the Ethernet cable, your music will return and now the check mark is to the right of the first choice, Disable Wi-Fi.
- Your RF meter will also show that that Sonos speaker no longer emits an RF signal.
- Click on the back arrow on the App and go to the next speaker on your list and repeat the process.
- If you have any problems, contact Sonos customer service and they will walk you through the process.
- If you normally keep WiFi disabled on your router, then remember to disable it once again after completing this process.
Otherwise, if no hardwired connection is possible, you can wrap a Sonos unit that is connecting wirelessly with a layer of Argenmesh on all sides. Argenmesh, a radio-reflective cloth, is available from LessEMF by clicking here.
Shields for Smart Electric, Gas and Water Meters
You can purchase a wire mesh cover for your electric smart meter (assuming you cannot opt out) from either of the following retailers: Smart Meter Guard and Smart Meter Covers. Both companies also sell router guards (see below). Smart Meter Guard also sells fabric covers for gas and water smart meters.
Router Guard for Reduction of Radio Frequency Wi-Fi EMFs from Routers
You can purchase the Router Guard when you need Wi-Fi enabled on your router but want to keep your family’s exposure to potentially harmful radio frequency Wi-Fi EMF exposure to a minimum. The Guard is made of metal mesh that reduces the signal strength from the router when the Wi-Fi is on but will still allow you to connect wirelessly to the Wi-Fi signal.
Order the Router Guard by clicking here. Please mention my name, Oram Miller, in the “Special Instructions, Comments or Referrals” box when ordering. They have two sizes, a regular size big enough for most routers, and a larger model for big routers and modems that contain routers.
You can also order router covers from Smart Meter Covers.
Bear in mind that potentially harmful radio frequency signals do still get through these wire mesh boxes into your room, even when the signal is reduced, so shut off the Wi-Fi when not needed and only turn on the Wi-Fi sparingly. I discuss how we do this in the Radio Frequency EMF section of my article, Safer Use of Computers.
Low-RF/EMF Gigaset DECT Cordless Telephones with ECO Mode Plus
While we strongly recommend that you choose a corded telephone over a cordless one, for those people who feel they still need to use a cordless landline phone at home or in the office, you can purchase a cordless phone with Eco DECT Plus. Phones with ECO Mode Plus turn off the radio frequency transmitter in the base unit completely when the phone is in standby mode.
Quite a number of Gigaset models made in Europe with ECO Mode Plus are available on eBay for U.S. buyers from European sellers. These models are popular among people around the world trying to reduce their RF exposure. Select from a number of Gigaset models available in the US from Europe. Some even have an answering machine. Just be sure that they have an Eco Mode or Eco Mode Plus (Eco Mode+) feature to get the reduced radio frequency levels while on a call and on standby. Click on the link below to see the selection from eBay:
Euro.Stores, one of the prominent sellers of Siemens Gigaset ECO DECT Cordless Phones on eBay, has a webpage with information about RF/EMF levels from these phones. They say, “ECO-DIRECT: Radiation free. Energy-efficient power supply means that the Gigaset A415 is easier on the environment – and on your wallet. Like all Gigaset cordless phones, it variably reduces the transmitting power from the handset to the base station depending on their distance apart. You can also decrease the transmitting power of the Gigaset A415’s base station by 80% – simply select ECO Mode. What’s more, radiation-free ECO Mode Plus switches off the transmitting power whenever your phone is in idle mode.”
This means that the RF radiation from the handset will be reduced the closer you are to the base unit while you are on a call, and increased the farther away you are away. This is helpful, but remember. For the person making the call, their head and body are still bathed in fairly strong RF radiation when you are on the call, even if the RF signal is reduced. You are not safe. You are just smoking a few less cigarettes.
The real advantage of these models of cordless telephone is that they do not emit any radio frequencies (RF) into the room while in idle or standby mode (meaning, when a call is not in progress), as long as you have it set to “ECO Mode Plus (ECO Mode+)”. Also, when on a call, the base unit emits 80% less RF when in “ECO Mode”.
Since these are European phones, you will need an adapter to convert the round prongs used in Europe on the electric plug to the flat blades used in the US. These phones can be plugged into the 120 Volt outlets we have in the US. Some vendors, such as Euro.Stores, say they will send you an adapter for free if you order from the U.S. Others say to contact them when ordering to tell them you need an adapter.
Grounded RJ-45 Data Ports and Cover Plates
If you are installing Cat6A or 7 Ethernet cables in walls, which are shielded and grounded, as part of a hardwired Local Area Network (LAN), you will need grounded (metal) RJ-45 data ports, modular plugs and cover plates. Order the following parts from Amazon:
- Cable Matters UL Listed 6-Pack RJ45 Shielded Keystone Jack with Integrated Shutter, package of 6.
- Cable Matters 50-Pack RJ45 Shielded Modular Plugs with Strain Relief Boots, package of 50.
- Cable Matters 10-Pack Low Profile 4-Port Cat5e, Cat6 Keystone Jack Wall Plate in White, package of 10.
If Amazon is out of any of the items listed above, you can purchase them directly from Cable Matters using the following links:
- Cat6A Shielded Metal RJ45 Keystone Jacks, package of 6.
- RJ45 Cat6A Shielded Modular Plugs with Strain Relief Boots, package of 50.
- Wall Plate with 4-Port Keystone Jack Insert in White, package of 10.
Shielded Cat6 Riser Bulk Ethernet Cable
Purchase a box of Shielded Cat6 Riser, 500 feet, White, Bulk Ethernet Cable from Amazon by clicking here.
Cable Isolation Filter (also known as Ground Loop Isolator)
To eliminate electric current from flowing on the metal sheathing of an incoming TV cable, you will need to install a cable isolation filter (also known as a ground loop isolator) on the house side of the grounding adapter. Order an isolation filter by clicking on any of the following links:
- TII 220 Ground Loop Isolator for Cable TV applications, from Amazon for $22 (Note: A male-to-male adapter is not needed with this model)
- Ancable Ground Loop Isolator, from Amazon for $15 (Note: This model comes with a male-to-male adapter)
- Holland Coaxial Cable Isolator with Spike Protection, from Tech Tool Supply in Michigan for $6.
- Note: The Holland filter will require one Male-to-Male “F” Connector Adapter, either:
- Gold-Plated Male-to-Male F-Connector Coupler Adapter from Radio Shack, for $3.00, or
- 75 OHM Coaxial Type F Male to Male Adapter from Amazon, for $4.89.
To Disable Bluetooth/Wifi on Molekul Air Purifier (from the manufacturer):
To eliminate radio frequency EMFs (which are either Bluetooth or WiFi) on a Molekul Air Purifier, follow the protocol below, provided by the manufacturer:
- Wake up your Molekul Air purifier screen by tapping it once.
- Touch and hold the screen at the center, for at least 10 seconds. Please use your full finger and not just the tip of your finger.
- A screen pops up that says TAP TO DISABLE CONNECTIVITY.
- Tap on the screen to disable connectivity.
- When asked for confirmation again, please tap CONFIRM on the touchscreen.
- The device will reboot with the Bluetooth and WiFi radios disabled.
We would recommend that you confirm that the RF signal has been shut off with your RF meter, if you own one.
Electric In-Floor Radiant Heat
If you chose in-floor electric heat in bathrooms, these manufacturers all provide pre-wired mats that are placed under tile without producing significant EMF levels:
These mats are wired in such a way that they do not produce AC magnetic fields when turned on. The magnetic field rotating clockwise around the hot wire with outgoing current is cancelled by the magnetic field rotating counter-clockwise around the current returning on the neutral wire (which equals the current on the hot wire, thereby creating almost full cancellation). This occurs because each of these manufacturers runs the returning neutral wire alongside the outgoing hot wire using what some companies call Dual Conductor Technology.
In addition, 120 Volt heating mat models sold by these manufacturers are wrapped in grounded, shielded metal foil that contains AC electric field EMFs from the hot wire, when turned on. (Their 240 Volt models do not need such shielding because the electric fields on the two hot wires in the 240 Volt models are connected to opposite legs in the breaker panel, and the electric fields on each leg are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. The two electric fields on each hot wire therefore cancel.)
Protocol to Rewire a Lamp with Shielded AC Power Cord, Called MuCord
To download a protocol that a local lamp or small appliance repair shop can follow to replace an unshielded AC lamp cord with a shielded one, click here.