Open for Business Locally In-Person, and Nationally by Phone, FaceTime, Zoom and Skype
I offer my EMF consultation services to clients locally in Southern California in person, as well as nationally and internationally by phone and video conference. If you are outside Southern California, I can guide you in measuring and mitigating EMFs in your home with your own EMF meters, or recommend meters that you can purchase. I have been doing long distance EMF consultations for years. Contact me for details.
Healthy Home and Office Environmental EMF Inspections
Provide a healthy indoor environment for your family or co-workers by identifying and eliminating sources of ill health in the home or office.
While Oram is trained in the evaluation and mitigation of problems with water intrusion, mold, indoor air quality and chemical outgassing and provided those services in the past, he now focuses exclusively on the evaluation and mitigation of electro-magnetic field (EMF) issues in existing buildings as well as consulting on healthy wiring practices in new construction and remodeling.
Oram has conducted over 5,000 healthy home evaluations both on-site as well as for clients long distance by telephone, Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, fax and email.
On-site evaluations are available for those living and working in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego and throughout Southern California.
Telephone and video consultations are also available nationwide. Oram works long distance with clients throughout the USA and Canada and as far away as Europe, the Middle East, and Australia.
Oram will also travel to your home in other parts of California and nearby states. Please contact us to determine what fees are involved and to make arrangements.
On-site EMF inspections can evaluate and mitigate the following types of EMFs typically found in homes, offices and classrooms:
- Electric Field exposure from house wiring, particularly in sleeping areas
- Magnetic Field exposure from house wiring, electric motors, transformers, wiring errors, electric current on the grounding system, and outside overhead powerlines (this last source of magnetic fields, power lines, can not, unfortunately, be shielded against when present, but it is rare)
- Radio frequency exposure from cell phones, cordless telephones, handheld tablets, wireless Internet (Wi-Fi) routers, computers, and all the myriad of other communication and security devices found in modern homes
- Electromagnetic Interference, or EMI (also called “dirty electricity” and “microsurge electrical pollution”) radiating off plastic, un-shielded electric circuits and plugged-in power cords caused by dimmer switches, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), newer variable speed fan motors found in energy-efficient furnaces and kitchen appliances, certain solar panel inverters, and many other sources
A healthy home evaluation from Create Healthy Homes can help you:
- Gain more rest while you sleep by reducing electric, magnetic, radio frequency, and dirty electricity EMF exposure in sleeping and daytime use areas
- Identify and reduce household EMF causes of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, “brain fog,” memory loss, allergies and insomnia, among other health challenges
- Work in conjunction with electricians and plumbers to trace and repair wiring errors and electric current on metal grounding paths (including incoming metal water service pipes and TV coaxial cables)
- Work in conjunction with low-voltage, audio/video contractors to provide hardwired data networks for telephone, Internet, media and security without exposing you and your family to potentially harmful radio frequencies from wireless components
- Provide healthy wiring protocols to keep EMFs to a minimum in a healthy new or remodeled home, office or classroom
Many people report improvement in chronic and acute health problems after we reduce electromagnetic field levels in their home, especially where they sleep. Sleep becomes more refreshing and rejuvenating and clients awaken more rested. Chronic symptoms start to clear up and clients experience better results from treatments from their health care practitioners.
Services and Fees
Description of All Services and Fees
Note: Sliding scale discounts are available for all services for those on a fixed or limited income. Contact me to inquire about this discount.
Note: Oram only conducts EMF evaluations. For mold and indoor air quality evaluations in Southern California, please see other contractors listed below.
On-Site EMF Evaluation
Full Healthy Home, Apartment, Condo, Office or Classroom EMF Evaluation.
A full evaluation of electric, magnetic, radio frequency and dirty electricity field EMF levels.
Fee $425 (Contact Oram for sliding scale discount for those with budgetary constraints.) Payment is expected at the time of service, in the form of check, cash, Zelle, PayPal, Venmo, or credit card.
We begin with a discussion of what EMFs are, where they come from, how they affect our health, and what we can do about them.
We then evaluate EMFs throughout the house, condo, apartment, office or classroom from such sources as:
- Electric current on water pipes and other grounding sources, wiring errors, and power lines, all causing magnetic field EMFs
- Unshielded plastic-jacketed circuits (Romex) in walls and floors of sleeping areas, causing electric field EMFs that rob of us of a deep, restorative sleep, as well as daytime electric field sources such as from un-grounded laptops
- Wireless devices, including cell phones, cordless telephones, routers, computers and tablets, smart electric meters, and neighboring cell towers, all of which cause radio frequency EMFs
- Dimmer switches, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), variable speed furnace motors, front-load washing machines, certain solar panel inverters, and computers and printers, all of which can cause so-called “dirty electricity” EMFs
This evaluation is especially helpful for people with chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, headaches, insomnia, “brain fog” and other symptoms of electrical hyper-sensitivity, or EHS. Asymptomatic people who want to maintain good health also benefit. See Comments from Clients for unsolicited reports from those who have experienced improvement in their health with reduction of EMF levels in their home.
Practical and cost-effective remedial measures are recommended.
The evaluation generally takes a full day to complete, up to seven or eight hours, in homes. Evaluations of condos, apartments, offices and classrooms may take less time, but will still take several hours.
Most solutions are implemented at the time of the evaluation, while some may require the services of a qualified electrician, plumber and/or low voltage audio/video contractor. You will need to purchase adapters and other components that I will specify to provide hardwired solutions for phone, Internet and media (streaming TV) connectivity.
Hourly rates for all services are discussed below.
Phone/Video EMF Evaluation
Long distance EMF evaluation for those living outside Southern California.
Consultations are available long distance by telephone, Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, and email for those individuals, families and businesses in the USA and Canada outside my local travel area of Southern California. I have assisted clients outside the USA.
Fee $425 for full long distance house evaluation, or $125/hour for hourly consultations (Contact Oram for sliding scale discount for those with budgetary constraints.) Payment is expected at the time of service by Zelle, PayPal, Venmo, credit card or pre-paid check.
For a long distance full house evaluation, the client emails or sends a sketch of the house floor plan and photos. They are encouraged to purchase affordable EMF meters to provide EMF readings under my guidance, in order to help develop a mitigation plan. The initial telephone/video consultation usually lasts two to three hours, with follow-up consultations by phone/video and email included in the fee.
If you have more specific issues that need to be addressed rather than a whole house evaluation, you can pay by the hour at the rate of $125/hour.
New Home/Pre-Purchase EMF Evaluation
New Home, Condo, Apartment or Commercial EMF Inspection and Evaluation.
Fee $300 (Contact Oram for sliding scale discount for those with budgetary constraints.) Payment is expected at the time of service, in the form of check, cash, Zelle, PayPal, Venmo, or credit card.
This includes an evaluation of electric, magnetic, radio frequency and dirty electricity field exposure for those who want to move into an existing home, apartment, condo unit or commercial space. My main concern is to rule out “deal breakers”. These include sources of EMFs that you have no control over and cannot effectively reduce, eliminate or shield against once you move in.
Deal breakers include magnetic fields entering into the living or work space from outside overhead (or underground) powerlines. Most powerlines do not produce magnetic fields strong enough to be a problem. Each house or condo unit has to be evaluated separately. I cannot tell whether a power line will produce a high magnetic field through a photo. You or I need to take magnetic field EMF readings. There is no specific “safe distance” and unfortunately there is no effective shielding against strong magnetic fields from outside powerlines, when present.
Another deal breaker is a cell tower located close to the house, condo, apartment or commercial building. Again, these have to be evaluated on a case by case basis, but there is effective shielding if the cell tower radio field strength is not too high. While possible, RF shielding is expensive and only marginally effective in most cases, especially for electrically hyper-sensitive people.
Another issue is “knob and tube” wiring, found in houses built before the 1940s. A related problem involves certain circuits in walls and floors that are ungrounded and unshielded, such as cloth-wrapped and plastic Romex circuits without ground wires installed in the 1940s and ’50s. These are both deal-breakers in our opinion, unless you plan to re-wire. I explain all of this in detail during the evaluation.
New homes, condos, apartments and commercial buildings are also evaluated for the types of EMFs that any building will have. These are described above in the description of a “Full Healthy Home, Apartment, Condo, Office or Classroom EMF Evaluation” and can be mitigated once you take possession. These include wiring errors and “pipe current”/coaxial cable current (electric current on incoming metal water service pipes and incoming coaxial cables), electric fields in bedrooms, and radio frequencies from wireless devices you bring into your new residence, business or classroom.
New Construction & Remodeling
New Building Construction and Remodeling Consultation for Healthy Wiring to Avoid EMFs.
Fee $500 (Contact Oram for sliding scale discount for those with budgetary constraints.) Payment is expected at the time of service in the form of check, cash, Zelle, PayPal, Venmo or credit card.
This service provides an individualized consultation covering healthy wiring in new home and office design and construction, as well as remodeling, all for the purpose of eliminating or reducing potential EMF exposure. The initial consultation lasts two to three hours. The fee includes a report and follow-up questions with the homeowners.
The initial consultation includes a discussion first with the homeowners to learn their specific needs relative to avoiding EMFs in the new or remodeled home. EMFs are explained, as well as where they come from, how they affect health, and how we avoid them in new construction. Based upon this discussion, a healthy electrical wiring protocol is generated for the clients, architect, builder and electrical contractor.
After the initial consultation, follow-up on-site and telephone/video meetings with architects, builders and electrical contractors are billed at an hourly rate of $125/hour. This rate also applies to follow up report preparation time.
This consultation can be provided locally in-person and by telephone/video within Southern California. Consultation is also available for any client around the country (or world) long distance by telephone, Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, email and surface mail.
Hourly Rate for All EMF Services
If the package rates presented above do not apply to your job, my hourly rate for all services is $125/hour, unless otherwise specified. As noted, I do have a sliding scale. Please speak with me if you need that and to determine which fee schedule applies to your job.
Pay for Consultations
Pay for Consultations
Payment is expected at the time of service. To pay for my consultation services via PayPal or to use your credit card if you do not have a PayPal account, click on the “Buy Now” button below.
When a page opens from PayPal, enter the agreed upon amount in the “Item price” box on the left under “Your order summary” and click “Update.” On the right hand side, if you have a PayPal account, your email address will show up under “Pay with my PayPal account”. Type in your password, click “Log in”, and follow the prompts to make the payment to me. You will receive an email from PayPal confirming your payment.
If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can pay securely using a credit card by clicking on the “Buy Now” button below, and when the PayPal page opens, click on the link on the lower right, “Don’t have a PayPal account?”. Follow the prompts to send the payment to me using your credit card. It will come to me through my PayPal account. Again, you don’t have to open a PayPal account in order to do this. You will receive an email confirming your payment.
Contact me if you have any questions.
New Building Manual
Building Biology-Based New Building Manual
Oram has co-written a new building manual on healthy, non-toxic envelope materials in conjunction with George Swanson, BBEC, builder and Building Biologist in Austin, Texas and our editor, Wayne Federer in Wisconsin. The manual is available through our website, www.breathingwalls.com.
For more information on the manual, click here.
You can preview the Table of Contents here.
Additional EMF Consultants
Oram’s List of Fellow EMF Consultants in Southern California
EMF Evaluation and Mitigation Is Provided by Additional Practitioners in Southern California
For those of you who live in Southern California, Oram provides on site EMF evaluations to clients primarily in Los Angeles, the San Fernando Valley and Orange County, but, he also travels from the Central Coast to Palm Springs, from Bakersfield and Lancaster/Palmdale down to San Diego, and all points in between. (Sorry, no mold testing–see above for mold experts.)
When you cannot get ahold of him, need a second opinion, or want to find someone more local to you for an EMF evaluation, here is a list of fellow building biologists and EMF Consultants in Southern California whom he recommends, listed by geographic region:
Greater Los Angeles, including San Fernando Valley and Orange County
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, General Building Biology Evaluation (also Licensed Contractor/Electrical/Handyman/Plumber): Edwin Saks, BBEC, Los Angeles, of Saks-EMF.com; (310) 864-2353; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Licensed Contractor
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, General Building Biology Evaluation: Colin Littlefield, BBEC, Los Angeles; (800) 455-3365; email@example.com; Building Biology Environmental Consultant
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, Electrical Engineer, General Building Biology Evaluation: Larry Gust, EE, BBEC, EMRS, Ventura/San Fernando Valley, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, of Gust Enviro; (805) 644-2008; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation: John Black, EMF Consultant, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, of EMF Safety Solutions; (949) 261-7352; Completed Building Biology EMF Seminar
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation: Doug Dischner, EMRS, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, of Healthy EMF Solutions; (714) 661-8856; Certified Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation: Kevin Narramore, PhD, EMF Consultant, Westlake Village/San Fernando Valley, of SafeHomeAndOffice.com; (949) 874-8000 (texting is best for contacting Kevin); Attended Building Biology Institute EMR Seminars and Updates
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, General Building Biology Evaluation (also Licensed Contractor): Jon Cotham, BBEC, Ojai, of Jon Cotham Construction & Environmental Testing; (805) 208-2598; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Licensed Contractor
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, Professional Engineer: Michael Schwaebe, PE, BBEC, Encinitas (North County San Diego); (760) 753-7752; firstname.lastname@example.org; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, General Building Biology Evaluation (Including, along with Andrew Jordan, Mold Testing): Peter Sierck, BBEC, Carlsbad (North County San Diego), of EMF & RF Solutions and ET&T Indoor Environmental Surveys; (760) 804-9400; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist, Industrial Hygienist, and Council Certified Microbial Consultant
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, Mold Evaluation: Paula Schofield, BS, EMRS, CSMI, BBP, Palm Desert, of Healthy Home Sanctuary; (760) 610-5000; Certified Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist and Building Biology Practitioner, Council Certified Structural Mold Investigator
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation: Miriam Lindbeck, EMRS, Santa Barbara; (805) 452-0954; email@example.com; Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, Electrical Engineer, General Building Biology Evaluation: Larry Gust, EE, BBEC, EMRS, Ventura/Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, of Gust Enviro; (805) 644-2008; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist
- Licensed Contractor, EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, General Building Biology Evaluation: Jon Cotham, BBEC, Ojai, of Jon Cotham Construction & Environmental Testing; (805) 208-2598; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant, Licensed Contractor
San Luis Obispo/California Central Coast
- EMF Evaluation and Mitigation, General Building Biology Evaluation: Richard Horner, BBEC, EMRS, San Luis Obispo, of EMF Inspect; (408) 621-9162; Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant and Electromagnetic Radiation Specialist
Mold and Indoor Air Quality Evaluations
Oram only conducts EMF evaluations. For mold and indoor air quality evaluations in Southern California, please contact one of the following contractors:
- Murray Harreschou of Santa Monica, (310) 991-8590, firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Mark Levy, The Mold Guy, of Los Angeles, www.themoldguyinc.com, (888) 351-9565, Mark@themoldguyinc.com, or
- Larry Gust, Gust Environmental, of Ventura, www.gustenviro.com, (805) 644-2008, lgust@GustEnviro.com, or
- Peter Sierck and Andrew Jordan, ETandT, of San Diego, www.etandt.com, (760) 804-9400, email@example.com